Here we have a 13 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, named Patch. He attempted to snatch a chicken kebab at a BBQ, but somehow managed to swallow a 15cm skewer instead. Although the blunt end was swallowed first, he suffered punture wounds to this oesophagus, shoulder, and rib cage. He recovered quite well, 80 stitches later, and his owner, Rosemary, made sure to throw out the skewer… just in case.
A 4 month old French bulldog ate a baseboard, including the nail shown in this radiograph. The dog recovered but had a history of eating various household objects, which were usually passed in bowel movements.
This 3x5 cm piece of hard plastic became lodged in the cervical oesophagus of a 2 month old foal, which recovered eventually after surgery.
This cat ate a sewing needle and thread. The needle is visible in the colon, but the thread has caused subtle plication of the intestinal loops, which is more difficult to identify.
This mass of grass was removed from the stomach of a 4 year old golden retriever.
This endoscopic image shows a golf ball lodged at the pyloric antrum of a 6 year old Labrador retriever. Enterotomy was required to remove the ball.
These strong foreign bodies were removed from a 10 month old umbrella cockatoo. The string on the left was passed in faeces the wadded string on the right was endoscopically removed from the proventriculus.
(The black bar in the right corner is 2cm long)
This shows the removal of a bamboo skewer during gastrotomy in a dog. The skewer had punctured the stomach, causing a gastrocutaneous fistula. The dog recovered well after surgery.
This ultrasonogram shows a rubber ball (FB; note its echogenic border) obstructing the intestinal lumen. This object might not be easily identified radiographically, so ultrasonography can be valuable when a foreign body is suspected.
Approximately 1 lb (~454 grams) of lead pieces was surgically removed from the stomach of a 10 year old Labrador retriever. The dog required treatment for lead poisoning but recovered well.
This 2 year old, mixed-breed dog swallowed a 10 inch long serrated knife. The knife lodged in the oesophagus but traverse the diagram and was also in the stomach. It was removed surgically, and the dog recovered after a brief stay in the intensive care unit.
The owner said the pup had eaten a chicken bone. I think they were mistaken…
From what I remember, it was butter knife the owners used to make the dogs food with. Apparently it went missing and they thought nothing of it because, well… who would think a dog would eat that!
(He was fine once the knife was removed)